Extracts from Millwood House Museum in Knysna:
This was the home of Jonas and Ann Stevens who came out to the Cape from Hampshire in England on the sailing ship Siridian in 1849. The Stevenses lived in George for about 20 years, when they moved to Longkloof and finally to Woodville where they built their double storeyed house in 1869.
They offered both accommodation and meals. The stop was referred to as Stevens Halt, also Wayside Inn.